Thursday, July 8, 2010

Making room for deep thought

I have been using this blog mostly to highlight my public relations work. However, I also want to use it for personal writing. My roommates and I are often having a conversation when someone says, "Hey guys so I was having this thought today..." That person will then go on to share their epiphany for the day. One of my friends has dubbed these times "deep thought" moments. Have you ever had a time during the day when you think about something on a deeper level? Instead of blindly fumbling through the day on autopilot, you find deeper meaning and purpose that motivates and enriches your life. As weird as this sounds I love these moments. They are so enlightening. Oddly enough I experienced such a moment the other day in the bookstore. I was buying a birthday card for my cousin, and I was at the cash register when one of the employees asked me, "What's the best thing that has happened to you today?" A blank stare of stupidity answered her question as I racked my brain for something to say. "Well let's see...I woke up late and then I went to work for four hours and now I am on lunch but I am about to go to work for another four or five hours; none of that sounds very exciting," I thought to myself. I then thought of the moment I had a couple minutes earlier when I found a card that reminded me of an inside joke with one of my best friends. I literally, and no not figuratively, laughed out loud in the card section and then picked up the card, bought it, and sent it to my friend. As I stood in the bookstore, I realized that I don't think of the "best things" in the day nearly enough. Usually I am too busy focusing on the everyday mundane things. After my short conversation with that bookstore employee, my afternoon was considerably better as I thought of the small things that were good that day. Now I try to ponder on that question when I think my day is awful, "What is the best thing that has happened to you today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment