Sunday, July 25, 2010

You've Got Mail...Enjoy it While it Lasts

The other night I was watching You've Got Mail with my roommates. It didn't occur to me how old the movie was until I saw the bulky laptop and heard the dial tone to connect to an AOL chat room. When i think of how much technology has evolved it amazes me, yet that movie wasn't made that long ago. You've Got Mail released in 1998, which means that twelve years ago email and chat rooms were a novelty. Excitement and frenzy were created over the three simple words(or four if you count the contraction), "You've Got Mail."

Now email seems laborious and clunky with Facebook, Twitter, and Google Wave. The whole world can know what you are thinking in a matter of seconds, so why wait minutes to send an email? I can access any information through the internet, yet I am impatient when my browser takes more than ten seconds to load. If I can't watch a video instantly on YouTube I wonder what's wrong with my connection. I don't think we take enough time to appreciate the progression of life. Consider the idea that you can find the answer to almost any question through Google, or ask yourself, "What would I do if didn't have internet access for a month?" Instead of constantly wondering what will come next, I think I will take a minute to appreciate everything that's around me because in a couple of years I might be mocking today's technology.

1 comment:

  1. flin, i read this and i said to myself... "flin is so great!" i love reading your blog posts because 1. you're such a great writer and 2. because they're always something i need to hear... ad as sian would say, "you're the mother bleepin greatest!" . . . and i agree.

    ReplyDelete