Sunday, October 31, 2010

Learning the Lingo

Django, java script, spider, bot, cold fusion, AVI, DVI, Python, Linux…English please?! I felt like I was learning another language when I started working in an office with web programmers. I considered myself a fairly technology savvy person; I could operate both a PC and Mac, I knew how to create a PDF from a word document, and I was even competent in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. The feelings of computer literacy were quickly squelched when I started my job. The constant use of unfamiliar terms was intimidating. I was hired as a technical writer, and although I know how to write, I felt completely lost because I didn’t have a clue what I was writing about.

This seems like this is a common situation for technical writers. We are hired to write about extremely specialized areas of information, and in order to write about it we must first understand it. Even though I am not a web programmer I quickly found I would have to learn the language and terminology associated with the profession in order to do my job. Every chance I have I ask my co-workers about a particular term or concept. They are kind enough to give me explanations and examples. Simply learning the terminology and lingo has helped me to quickly grasp a basic understanding of the field. My writing has improved as I understand the subject matter and audience more, and am able to effectively communicate with my co-workers. I am still a writer, but hopefully I am a writer who is at least slightly competent in web programming lingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment